Search This Blog

Saturday, May 13, 2023

Dr. No by Percival Everett

This comes out as the Bond thriller of the same name turns sixty. While some might celebrate with fast cars, shaken, not stirred martinis, and a heaping dose of toxic masculinity, that is not how this author rolls. Instead, he writes a book that is much ado about nothing. The narrator is a 36-year-old deadpan Black man who is on the autism spectrum and goes by the name Wala Kitu. His first name is Tagalog for “nothing”; his last name is Swahili for “nothing.” Now, as a distinguished mathematics professor at Brown University, Wala knows that nothing + nothing = nothing. In fact, Wala is the world’s greatest expert on nothing. He’s spent his career searching for nothing. “I have not found it,” he confesses. “I work very hard and wish I could say that I have nothing to show for it.” The story chugs along with more jokes and double entendres about nothing than you can imagine (and I suspect I might have missed quite a few!), and while it is not exactly my cup of tea, it is well written and clever and unforgettable.

No comments:

Post a Comment