Search This Blog

Friday, September 22, 2023

Happy Place by Emily Henry

I am not one who goes in much for romance--when reading frothy fiction, I lean toward murder mysteries instead; but I have enjoyed the two previous Emily Henry books that I have read. In spite of myself, I liked them a lot. This one follows ex-fiancés Harriet, a conflict-avoidant surgical resident, and Wyn, a quick-witted charmer who dances through life into their long drawn out and secret break-up. They have both struggled to find something that they love to do that isn't just being with each other, and they have failed kind of miserably. Instead of figuring that out, they split up with each other. This is how they get back together (which is really not a spoiler because this is an Emily Henry book--too short for them to find happiness elsewhere, so it must be with each other). They share a group of close friends that, for the last decade, have scheduled an annual getaway to a small cottage in Maine as a respite from their daily lives. But this year, Harriet and Wyn haven’t told their friends that they have broken up, leaving them lying through their teeth for a week as they pretend to be a couple to avoid breaking their friends’ hearts. This has a lot of the successful elements of her previous books, but for some reason this just didn't resonate for me. On the other hand, would I read another one of her books? Absolutely!

No comments:

Post a Comment