Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Cream of Asparagus Soup

I had some roasted asparagus that I had not paid quite enough attention to when it was in the oven, so it came out a little crispy in some areas and altogether overcooked--not inedible, by any means, but not fabulous even when it was brought to the table.  Needless to say, there were leftovers, and while I usually really enjoy cutting up the vegeatable side dish from the night before into my salad for noon the next day, that was not the fate of this particular asapagus.

So, what to do?
Throwing perfectly good food away is not in my usual repertoire as a cook (it happens, but I go out of my way to avoid it), and I am not want to serve myself something that I would rather not eat.  So the solution to this problem (and many others!) was to make soup.


10 oz roasted asparagus, heads set aside
2 small onions, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
6 c. stock (I used chicken, but vegetable would work well)
2 medium potatoes, diced
1/2 c. milk
salt and pepper to taste

Saute onions until they are sweating, then add garlic, and saute until soft.  Add potatoes, asparagus stalks (I cut them into 2 inch sections, but you are going to puree this, so it is not necessary), and stock.  Simmer until potatoes are falling apart.  Puree in a food processor until smooth.  Add milk, salt and pepper to taste.  Serve soup with the tops of the asparagus in each bowl (or skip this part and puree them up with the rest, if that suits you better).


No comments:

Post a Comment