Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Eggplant Meatballs

Do not get me wrong, I love a good pork and beef meatball--I had my Monday Meatballs this very Monday.  But I continue on the search for great recipes with vegetables in order to continue to efficiently and effectively use all the things that I get in my CSA each week (let it not be said that I am completely free of obsessions--not throwing anything away and avoiding wasted food are ongoing goals that I more or less manage to achieve).  Here is one from my friend Chris Owens, whose daughter Sam has been challenging her to eat more vegan food.

  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 lb unpeeled eggplant, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic
  • 1 cup white beans
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 cup panko
  • pinch red chili flakes
 Heat the oven to 375°. Spray a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.

Place 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. When hot add the eggplant and 1/4 cup water. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to the bowl of a food processor.
Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of oil to the skillet with the onion and garlic and cook until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add to the food processor along with the drained beans and parsley and pulse until well combined and chopped, but not pureed.
Combine the mixture with the panko and red chile flakes. Taste for salt then roll into 12 meatballs, about 2-inches in diameter. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and bake until firm and browned, about 25 to 30 minutes.  Serve with your favorite marinara sauce over pasta, or spiral cut zucchini noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment