Search This Blog

Monday, August 13, 2018

One More Time With Feeling (2016)

While it made me feel completely out of step with modern culture, I was unfamiliar with Nick Cave.  He makes music that is not out of step with my tastes and by all appearances he is nearer my age than not, but I knew nothing of him prior to watching this (streaming on Amazon Prime).
I suspect that this movie started off as an exploration of the creative process of a man and a band, but it ended up being a very intimate portrait of grief.  In that context, this is a thing of great beauty and pain.  The death of the child lies at the core of what comes out in this documentary.  There is no sugar coating the unbearable aspect of that, even as both the singer/songwriter and his wife deal with it head on, and make an effort to be normal, to allow joy and beauty into their lives, they are forever changed by the loss of their son.  The songs that come out of this period of intense loss, which are a sort of poetry put to music, seem reflective of that intensity of emotion, the grappling with it.  Very moving in an unusual way.

No comments:

Post a Comment