Search This Blog

Thursday, August 2, 2018

Toro Bravo by John Gorham and Liz Crain

My spouse and I ate this highly recommended Portland restaurant a number of years ago, and I am not sure why, but it just didn't wow us.  Maybe it was us, maybe it was the night, and maybe they paled in comparison to some truely exceptional food that the city has to offer.
The cookbook, which I came upon when I was looking for one by another Portland chef, is a whole other story.  This is an exceptional reflection on both the food and the people who are making it.  I have made several of the vegetable side dishes and they have been distinctive, easy to prepare, unusual in both flavor and presentation.  I had to order an expensive and unusual ingredient, and, as the recipe described, it makes the dish.  One thing about cooking at home is that not only do you control the ingredients, you also enjoy food at a fraction of the price of a high end restaurant and this cookbook allows you to do just that.  Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment