Search This Blog

Saturday, March 23, 2019

Little by Edward Carey

I forget where I read about this book which led me to put this on my library hold list, but I am grateful that I did.  I read this as I was flying into the eye of a storm last week.  The bomb cyclone blizzard that hit Colorado shook everything up for a lot of people, myself included, but it did allow me time to really relish this book.
It is the retelling of how a penniless Swiss orphan who later became known as Madame Truffaut, founded a London museum full of effigies that still welcomes 2.5 million visitors a year . Early on, she is apprenticed to Dr. Curtius, whose job in Berne is to render diseased body parts in wax and tout them around the city as graphic public health warnings. The subject is Curtius’s boss, a well-known surgeon. But the girl, Marie, notes how, after two straws have been placed up the man’s nose so that he can breathe; after his face has been smoothed with oil, then with plaster, to make a cast, and after the cast is taken away, underneath there is only another human face, “humbled and vulnerable” – and equal. The surgeon understands this; when he sees the success Curtius’s heads are achieving, he cancels his wages, forcing Curtius and Marie to flee to Paris.


No comments:

Post a Comment