Search This Blog

Sunday, January 5, 2020

Grand Union by Zadie Smith

I love Zadie Smith, but I did not love this.  True, I am not a big fan of the short story, but seeing as I am a big fan of the author, I decided this was within my reach.  I was not comletely right about that.
 First, the good.  It’s an intriguing tale of education, class, betrayal and sexual chemistry in which the female protagonist reflects on the ways in which she has objectified men.  She has always been a master at saying difficult things about the patriarchy that aren't self righteous.
This idea of inconsistency hangs over many of Smith’s stories. Is consistency important? Is it even possible? She is tacitly arguing a point that she has made more explicit in essays: that it is OK to change your mind.  That it reflects a way forward, a path towards being a better person.
The inconsistency of quality is a more serious flaw. At least eight of the 19 stories in the book just aren’t very good, at least to my ear.  So ultimately a slimmer edition would have suited me better.

No comments:

Post a Comment