Search This Blog

Saturday, July 18, 2020

Cook Like A Local by Chris Shepherd

I feel like this cookbook flirts with greatness, but somehow falls just short of it.  I do love that it is divided by ingredients, and that his favorite chile condiment is gouchujang and his favorite clie sauce is Sambal Olek (both of which you should have on hand if you get this.  There are several things that I will take away from the month of cooking out of it with our Food 52 Cookbook group.  The first is that I have a whole new nacho game.  His queso recipe is heads and shoulders above others we have made in the past, and this is the one.  His nacho meat and a quick pickle for canned beans are also pretty game changing and an easy weeknight meal or snack.  The whole fish recipe, which uses a full 3/4 c. of fish sauce, is the best i have ever had.  And the condiment Nuoc Cha I have used to make THE BEST cucumber salad with just a dash of sesame oil and chili oil.  I love the pickled eggs and have made them twice, so they will go in the rotation.  I really like that several of the ingredients that you make show up in another recipe, so you can use half for one and half for another.  I will not remake the tater tot casserole, the vegetables are not his strength, although the kale with hoisin is a keeper.In the end I decided to buy the book because there were recipes I would return to time after time and some that I have yet to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment