Search This Blog

Monday, January 17, 2022

Being The Ricardo's (2021)

First and foremost, while I did not love this movie, Nicole Kidman is unbeleivable as Lucille Ball and Javier Bardem is not far behind in his portrayal of Desi Arnaz. While I Love Lucy predated my television viewing days, I saw many rereuns and have a very good idea of what they were emulating and it is a pitch perfect performance. The film focuses on a fateful week in the relationship of the couple. Lucy is outed as having once marked herself as a member of the communist party at the height of the McCarthy led Red Scare, Desi was reported to have been spotted stepping out on Lucy, and Lucy reveals that she is pregnant and wants to have a baby in the show. The network agrees to let her have the baby--which is the first time ever in television. Crazy I know. Whenever I think about how poorly women are treated I have to remember that this happened in my lifetime. J. Edgar Hoover himself spoke up on Lucy's behalf, which makes you wonder what Desi had on him, and it was the beginning of the end of Desi and Lucy because he was in fact chronically unfaithful to her, and she had had enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment