Search This Blog

Sunday, April 24, 2022

Garlic Buttered Rice

I moved to my down-size house over a decade ago, and when that happened I retired my rice cooker, which was in high used when my kids were smaller and at home. They were raised by Asian women and rice is comfort food for them. I had the rice steaming recipe written in permanent marker on the rice cooker, we were that serious about it. We buy rice at the Asian market in the 25 pound bags. Since that time, I cannot remember having made it. My spouse has completely taken this task over, and so when I wanted to bring some food to my elderly parents that I thought rice would go well with, I had to look up how to make it. This turned out well, and I would do it this way again. 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion 1 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic 2 1/2 cups broth Salt and freshly ground black pepper 2-4 Tbsp butter 1 Tbsp minced fresh parsley (optional) Melt butter in pan: Melt 1 Tbsp butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion: Add yellow onion and saute until starting to deepen in color, about 3 minutes. Saute garlic: Add garlic and saute until just barely starting to deepen in color (not browned), about 1 minute. Add broth, boil: Pour in chicken broth, season with salt and pepper to taste and bring to a boil. Add rice, simmer: Add rice and stir once, cover with a snug lid then reduce heat to low. Let simmer until liquid has been absorbed, about 15 – 18 minutes. Rest, add more butter, fluff rice: Remove from heat and let rest 5 – 10 minutes. Add remaining butter, toss and fluff with a fork. Garnish: Serve warm garnished with parsley if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment