Search This Blog

Sunday, February 19, 2023

Triangle of Sadness (2022)

First of all, I am not sure I get this movie. I had an 'aha' moment when I read that it is in the Parasite vein--which makes sense, but Parasite was oh so much better than this, with gore that had more bang for the effect than what is on display here. Secondly, it is way way too long--by an hour I would say. A three hour tour, so to speak. Seems longer. Every aspect of the story telling is just a bit too long, and while I haven't watched all of the nominees in the Best Original Screenplay category, the other three I have seen are all better than this. This is a three act story. The opening act introduces us to Carl and Yaya, two people who are 'influencers'. We get a sense of who they are before we enter act two, which is on a luxury yacht--their passage is paid by sponsors, but the rest of the passengers are wildly rich, and there is an Upstairs, Downstairs thing going on with the crew and passengers, and then within the crew there is a caste system as well. The final act is one in which the whole hierarchy is set on its head, and what happens then. Again, interesting paradigm, but way too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment