Search This Blog

Sunday, February 26, 2023

Uncommon Type by Tom Hanks

I got this out of my library after I read Ann Patchett's collection of essays, These Precious Days, where she talks about being asked to review this collection, and her immediate hesitation about doing so--which I totally get. She seems to be a bit shy in some ways, and then what if you hate the book? Especially in this case, where the actor is so good at that craft and so deeply likable? She describes being relieved that she enjoyed them and then goes on to describe ways that her life and his were loosely intertwined for a while afterwards. including him reading her book 'The Dutch House' for the audio book. These are 17 well told stories that he reads, which adds to the enjoyment--I know because I had this out as a book and an audiobook at the same time so I had a chance to compare. Good acting is about good storytelling, so maybe it shouldn’t be a surprise that he can dream up a multitude of characters and worlds for them to inhabit. The stories are surprisingly varied, with a typewriter taking a starring or a supporting role more often than would happen by chance in the 21st century, which actually made me think about having one briefly. Then I came to my senses, but was happy that I read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment