Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 1, 2023

I Have Some Questions For You by Rebecca Makkai

I enjoyed this, but I would--it is written by a well known author who I like and at core it is a murder mystery. A former student, Brodie, is back on the campus where she went to high school and remembering the murder of a fellow student from her time there. She was always a bit suspicious that the dead girl had been having an affair with a teacher, but the man who went to prison for it was a teacher, but not the one that she suspected. He is a black man named Omar, and while there isn't much in the way of even circumstantial evidence, he is in prison. As Brodie goes about re-examining the case, there are a number of aspects of life at an elite private school that come into play--race, class, income, and what each of those things gets you in terms of privileges and demerits, depending if you are a have or a have not. This is well written and thought provoking, and I enjoyed it, but it was lighter than what I look for in the fiction genre and not enough intrigue for the murder mystery genre. It did make me want to read other things that the author has written, so there is that, and not everyone is hampered by years of reading who-done-its, and might be able to better settle into the cadence of this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment