Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Rediscovering Quiche

When I left my parents house to go to college almost 50 years ago there were only two things that I made reliably well--chocolate chip cookies and quiche. My father's company when I was in high school was on acreage that was once an apple orchard, and rather than cut them all down, they left them, and employees were allowed to pick apples there. My parents took that opportunity to make lots of applesauce, apple butter, and apple pies every fall. Mostly I peeled and cut apples, but I somehow also learned to roll out crust, and both of these skills have served me well in the years since. Along the way though, I stopped making quiche, I cannot say why. That neglect is over now, because in the intense run up to my son's wedding a couple of weeks ago, where my spouse and I were prepping all the food, I decided I should add quiche to my list of things to do. We had family and friends coming on site the morning of the wedding to set everything up and it seemed like an easy food to serve. You didn't even necessarily need a fork or a plate to eat it, it could be hot or room temp (hot is better, much better) and the most surprising thing of all, it was still easy to make. I hadn't lost it! I used the Moosewood cookbook that I have had since my first year of college for the filling, and I was happy with the results. It is nice to go back to the beginning sometimes. We also had chocolate chip cookies, but my spouse made them, and they had the added punch of cardamom, something my early cookies lacked but is a nice addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment