Search This Blog

Sunday, August 16, 2026

It's In His Kiss by Julia Quinn

I am going to have to stop saying that I don't much read romance novels because here I am, seven deep in the Bridgerton novels, and I am still going strong. i am going to have to go with I dabble in romance, and when I do, I tend to enjoy it. The suspension of belief is no more central to this genre than the murder mystery genre, which I read deeply and widely in (like all my life, every day, year in and year out for over 50 years kind of serious). Hyacinth comes in to her own--finally. Of all the Bridgertons I have the least sense of her, up until now at least. She has a close relationship with Lady Danbury, which is a great plot line--we know Lady Danbury well and she is famous for not suffering fools and being completely up front about it, damn the consequences, so we know that when she loves both her grandson Gareth St. Clair and Hyacinth with equal zeal that they will find their way to each other. Gareth is loathed by his father because he is not his own child--there is a pretty happy story behind that that they discover much later, so he is left to fend for himself. He will inherit the estate but it is in ruins because his haughty father has a gambling problem and is a terrible estate manager to boot. Hyacinth is the opposite--her family is big and loving and it is the perfect unbrella for Garth to shelter under and thrive. This is a fun story, one with some unexpected turns, and I am more sad that the series will soon splinter into something else because we have only one Bridgerton sibling left to marry off.

No comments:

Post a Comment