Search This Blog

Saturday, August 14, 2010

I Want to Room With a Museum


Seriously. I want to be a museum roomie. Really. I can't imagine a more exciting month. I know, it is hard to believe. If you had told me that the motto "Eat Sleep Science" would be something that I would literally dream about doing, I would have called you in for psychiatric evaluation. Which I can do. But here it is, an opportunity to spend a month doing just that at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, and I have not only applied, but I am allowing myself to hope against hope that they might seriously consider my application.

What is so appealing about this room? Well, what it lacks in privacy it gains in location. It is right downtown, on Museum Main Street. Easy walking distance to all exhibits, and, in fact, it is an exhibit all it's own! My plan would be to not spend all that much time in the room, despite it's obvious attempt to be comfortable--maybe writing my blog entries, and the occasional overnight. The whole point is to be out and about in the rest of the museum rather than holed up in what is really a very spacious (if not secluded) living quarter.

If I were to be chosen, this photo is for me what I hope to feel every night. Step out into the museum after the doors have closed to the public and the sky is the limit, the stars are at your feet. I am sure there are actually security cameras everywhere and my kids think there will undoubtedly be night guards (although I think they are basing this on 'Night at the Museum' rather than on any real data), but my fantasy is that it will just be me and the museum, that every night I can step out of my room and into a new adventure.

Ok, earth to Catherine--yes, I know that the probable ideal candidate, from the musuem's point of view, for this position is not a middle aged woman with a childhood dream to explore a museum and a grown up zeal to talk about it. At the very least they are apt to be looking for someone who is a little bit closer to their actual childhood, rather than someone trying to recapture theirs on the second go round. I'll put it out there that they would be ill advised to overlook the more "established" of the applicants. I have the enthusiastic support of both my family and colleagues to be freed from all responsibilities for the duration of the habitation. My children have unbridled enthusiasm for the idea, and I think I went up ever so slightly in their estimation just by applying. I have an outstanding work ethic and a track record of productivity that can't be matched by someone half my age. I have taught all ages, and I listen to the feedback from my learners and adjust my teaching every year to be better and better as an educator. I am a bargain. So, wish me luck, and send good vibes in my direction!

1 comment:

  1. I just really like lemon cake. And light lemon icing. and maybe a little raspberry filling. and a lot more minutes on the stationary bike.

    --F

    ReplyDelete