Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

We Bought This House Today!


As the day approached for us to close on this house, I thought long and hard about the choices we are making. One reason is that the summer has held more than it's fair share of sadness. Prior to going to the bank, I sat at the bedside of the mother of one of my very closest friends as she is slipping very quickly from her mortal self. I felt drained, unhappy, and helpless. Not the winning combination of emotions, to be sure. This is the third time in the past two months that I have sat in essentially the same spot and felt the same emotions. When I reach that point in my own life, where people are feeling that way on my account, I want to have the years leading up to it to have been full of new projects, new ideas, and work that gratifies me.
I have a trait that is both a gift and a curse--I really need to be busy. When I am not, I am hopelessly unproductive. And unhappy. I am always amused when people suggest that I relax First, I am terrible at it--the worst. I go from relaxation to lethargy without stopping to smell the roses. It doesn't make me happy, it makes me sluggish. As I have gotten older, with each passing decade I have noticed some diminution in my energy and productivity--what I can do is reduced. But I need to have a new project, a new goal, a new idea to focus on, none-the-less.
So today we have purchased a remarkable house that represents projects for years to come--something that will never be done. Wish us luck! May our work on it be gratifying, and you are all welcome to offer up ideas and expertise as we embark on this new journey.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations Catherine! I know you are pursuing a dream and following your passion. Good for you! I hope you will keep us all updated as you progress. Also, I would be glad to be a resource to you so let me know how I can help. Finally, we have similar tastes in music and books..hhmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the incredibly busy lives you lead and the sumptuous meals that appear on your table I often joke that you guys are the No Sense of Proportion Society poster children. But I think this would be a good time to tell you how much I admire and respect you on so many different levels. Your boys are a gift you have given to the world. You have worked ceaselessly at helping people through your profession. When there is a joyful occasion you throw a party and when there is sadness you are there with your comforting presence and the food/transportation/logistics to help life continue. Amidst the whirlwind that is the KlineWoodman household you always have an eye/ear out for others, not just your friends and family but anyone who might need any of the amazing array of gifts that you are blessed with. And in all of it you are just plain Cathy: Mom, doc, our friend, who always has time for a talk, some olives and cheese, a glass of wine. Words fail but having you for a friend is like living next to a Sequoia grove. An ever-constant source of wonder, amazement and peace, not to mention the desserts. love, W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wally--these are some of the nicest words written about me and they couldn't have some at a better time. Thank you. From the bottom of my heart.
    People at our age, people of 'a certain age'--we have some advantages and some obstacles. It is a time both of privilege and challenge--we have more problems but we also have more resources to deal with them. We are each others family. Each others first growth forest.
    So you are the same Sequoia grove for me. I often refer to you when I talk about how "it takes a village" resonates with me. My remarkable male offspring rely on the knowledge that you and Victoria will lay down whatever you are doing and be there for them in an emergency, great or small. For Ethan, it is that he has no money, for the others, who can say? So many choices so little time...
    in any case let me say--however the Kline boys turn out, the good you played a role in and you should be proud of.
    We hope this new home is a place of future fun that we all share, and we love having you as integral parts of that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so many people who have passed through this property and shared the feeling of sitting on the porch at sunset with a glass of wine and just being...the fall colors will amaze you out there! Here's to sweaters, bonfires, pumpkin bread, folk music, turning leaves and laughing off the days of work and contemplation I can only imagine are around the corner!

    ReplyDelete