Search This Blog

Friday, June 24, 2011

Asparagus and Corn Salad


My husband bought a bag of unsightly asparagus for almost nothing at the farmer's market on Saturday, and thought we would make some soup with it. I was hankering for something more in the salad palate range and found a recipe on the Food Network website that I modified and was very happy with the results (it was a Paula Deen recipe--while it did not have a lot of butter, it did have an unseemly amount of sugar, which I eliminated altogether).
Cut asparagus into 2" lengths, and blanch in boiling water with a little salt until tender to the tooth, about 2-3 minutes.
If using frozen corn (I have some that I took off the cob and froze last summer that I used), add the corn after about a minute to the asparagus. Drain in a colander, and run under cold water to stop the cooking of the asparagus, and to keep it's bright green color.
Put in bowl and add 1/4 of a red onion, diced very small.
Toss with rice vinegar and a smidge of olive oil--add enough to flavor the vegetables, but not to have a real dressing--I used about 1/4 c. of rice vinegar and a couple of tablespoons of olive oil--you don't need much. Salt and pepper to taste and serve.
very delicate flavor and you would never know that the asparagus wasn't perfect spears to begin with.

No comments:

Post a Comment