Search This Blog

Friday, June 10, 2011

Chickpea and Tuna Salad


1 can Tuna, drained and flaked
1 c. dry Chickpeas
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1/3 cup Red onion, diced
2 tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
Garnish with parseley or basil leaves
Salt and Black Pepper to taste
Lemon Wedges, for serving

1. Soak the chickpeas in a saucepan of water overnight. Cook chickpeas until tender to the tooth. Drain.
2. In a medium bowl flake the tuna apart with a fork. Toss with the beans, garlic and onion. Add cooked chickpeas.
3. Add the olive oil, vinegar and basil, toss well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate to allow the flavors to develop.
4. Serve over salad greens and lemon wedges, if desired. Just a bowl alone is delicious.
For the last two summers I have failed to cook mostly grain, legume and vegetables, but this summer I am giving it yet another attempt. I have hardly cooked the past two months due to my move, but now that our house is on the market (which means we spend less time there, but not no time), I have a few spare moments at home and have managed to make some legumes. Of course, they are very easy to make, and I shouldn't feel so accomplished for having done so, but moving has sapped my strength on a daily basis, so I am undeservedly proud to have put together a simple and healthy salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment