Search This Blog

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Looking Out the Bathroom Window

This is the view from my first floor bathroom window. My house has some spectacular views, and many of them are different from each other, but this is one of my favorites. It is very peaceful to look out, no matter what time of year it is, and see something that is both simple and beautiful. Which has led to my current dilemma. No curtains. To be sure, this is an exposed view--both inside looking out, but also potentially outside looking in. Granted, we have no neighbors. Not a one. So exposure hasn't been a reality up to this point. Various family members might be wandering about outside, you do have to keep track of them. But largely it has been a non-issue. So the view has won out over modesty. I can't yet put my finger on the quality that such a view imparts to my life, but I am sure that it is there. I just haven't been able to name it yet. The problem with a peaceful setting is that it is easy to not worry about it. Just to enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. I have checked in on your blog semi-regularly for the last year or so, after finding out that you moved into the house that has intrigued me for years. I drive by it constantly since I live outside of town. Knowing you from the annual Seebohm dinner I attended with my dad, Hal, was another connection, but I have resisted commenting until today. I have been tempted because of a common interest in food, books and movies (the fact that you list Mostly Martha - the German version ONLY -was a huge temptation to respond to something!
    I, too, live in the country and have great views from my bathroom windows. I, too, have resisted using curtains, much to the consternation of visitors who feel uncomfortable being exposed. It is only an issue when we have a summer gathering and there are people wandering around outside. I did put shutters on the lower half of the window for a while, but they did not get back up after replacing windows. I figured those uncomfortable could go upstairs, where it is harder to see in. So enjoy your view. The Iowa countryside IS hard to beat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So great to hear from you! I have really loved blogging, but the funniest thing about it is that you never really know who's watching. I laughed when I read your upstairs solution--our second son feels that the hall bathroom on the second floor is his bathroom :-) The first floor is just too risky for him.
      Hope all is well with you and yours!

      Delete