Search This Blog

Sunday, January 22, 2012

South Carolina Primary

I like Barney Frank’s quote the best, where he said ‘I never thought I’d live such a good life that I would see Newt Gingrich be the nominee of the Republican party.’ Seriously, the guy is incredible. Incredible narcissist, incredible brass, incredible resilience. They called Reagan the Teflon man, but Newt has it all over him. Now admittedly, South Carolina is in his Southern stomping grounds and has a Conservative base that would resonate with what Newt has to offer. But still. Really? I am not sure what it is with Christian conservatives and adultery. As long as you are a Republican, then it seems to be infinitely forgivable. Perhaps it is because it is so common. If they didn't forgive there wouldn't be anybody left in politics. I am personally not supportive of adultery--if you want out of your marriage, just say so. Make the break. Adultery is hedging your bet. Having your cake and eating it to, with compulsory lying heaped onto the already unpleasant pile. It says that you are more important than your spouse (as well as your children, should you have them) and none of that is appealing to me. On the other hand, I don't expect or demand marital fidelity in my elected representatives. What I do expect is some consistency in values. If it is okay for you, then it should be okay for everyone. But that sort of logic is sorely lacking in Mr. Gingrich. And that has been successful for him, so maybe he is on to something. Do as I say, not as I do. I wish I didn't find him so irritating because it would be really nice to celebrate this win.

No comments:

Post a Comment