Search This Blog

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Miniature Trifle

I have been in a bit of a baking slump. My spouse thinks that it is because I have not hit my baking rhythm in our new house. I know where everything is, I just don't know how I am going to put it together to bake with ease. The other factor is that for over a year we have been working on decreasing the volume in our freezers, and a lot of the build up was baked goods. I was not incentivized to bake, and therefore I didn't. So when I have been pressed to make dessert of late, I have been looking to options that do not require me to bake. I have had some leftover cake (someone else's creation--when you are not baking, the most common answer you give when asked what can be brought to dinner is 'dessert'. Sometimes that leaves you with leftover cake). I have always been a big fan of trifle, but I have recently been making it in smaller, individual versions. I made it last week in wine glasses and this week I made it in tiny ramekins for a dinner where there would be multiple desserts, so I wanted to give people more of a dessert bite than a dessert overdose. This version has small cubes of cake on the bottom, a dribble of liquor, then a tablespoon of nonfat vanilla yogurt (Brown Cow is my favorite), some sliced strawberries and a few blueberries, then topped off with whipped cream. They are best if they sit for several hours before served.

1 comment:

  1. When you do hit that stride, I hope to receive some of the fruits of your labor.

    ReplyDelete