Search This Blog

Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Making of a Chuppah

I have been a quilter since I was in high school, when I made my very first quilt that accompanied to college--it was a very cheerful pinwheel design. Since then I have made dozens of quilts of all sizes, but it has been a while since I have pieced and quilted. I recently moved my entire fabric collection to my empty nest house (which now occupies about a third of what would be considered by most to be a capacious basement, and I realized that I really needed to get back to quilting. I had all the raw materials. This is how I embarked on the chuppah journey for my eldest son's wedding. In Judiasm, the marriage ceremony is conducted under a marriage canopy, known in Hebrew as a chuppah (literally, a "covering"). It consists of a square cloth, historically a tallit or prayer shawl, that is supported by four staves, and ordinarily held by four people. The chuppah symbolizes the new home the bride and groom will make together. In this context, the appearance of the bride and groom together under a chuppah before an assembly who have come to witness the event is in itself a public proclamation by them that they are now bonded together as man and wife. It is a prelude to intimacy, and thus a significant element in the marriage ceremony. I chose a traditional quilt pattern, 'Lover's Lane' for the chuppah, and a two-fabric rendition of it--simple and yet clearly a pattern. For the back, I used a wax batik fabric that I bought in Tanzania. Fortunately, quilting is like riding a bike. You don't forget the basics, and after the wedding, this can be used a a small quilt.

1 comment:

  1. Finally made it here to see your chuppa. It's gorgeous! Can't believe you whipped this up just before the event. So wonderful to have this handmade piece for such an important part of the wedding.

    ReplyDelete