Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Mixed Greens Gumbo

My husband came home from the Farmer's Market with a large bag of fall vegetables, and I had no room for them--all the things that I bought at last weeks Farmer's Market but had yet to use were taking up all the available space in the second fridge.  What to do?
I made a variation of the Mixed Greens Gumbo that I found in 'Eat Greens', because that was going to reduce the volume the best.

3 onions, diced
3 Tbs. olive oil
1/4 cup flour
1 pepper, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup celery diced
2 bunches of greens sliced into ribbons--I used kale and swiss chard
5 small okra, sliced
1/4 tsp. cayenne
2 Tbs. file
8 c. stock
Tabasco sauce to taste

Saute the onions in olive oil til browning.  Add flour and stir until the flour is browning a bit.  then add celery, peppers, garlic (and I actually added a bit of cauliflower that was looking a bit sad and I thought would have to be composted if I did not find a home for it soon--it was a delicious addition).  Saute until soft.  Add the file and cayenne, stir until they are starting to brown a bit, then add the stock, the okra, and the greens.  Cook over medium heat uncovered until all the components are cooked and the sauce has thickened.  Serve in a bowl with a small pile of rice in the  middle.  This is a nice alternative to shrimp or chicken gumbo for the vegetarians in the crowd.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment