Search This Blog

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Humberto Batista, Oaxaca


One of the highlights of my recent trip to Oaxaca was a visit to the studio of Humberto Batista. He is an internationally known artist whose art is a combination of assembling figures from other objects, and then more traditional art forms, including painting and collage.  The first and foremost thing about this visit was just how incredibly warm and welcoming the artist himself is--he is someone who has a playful look in his eye that you can discern from the moment you meet him. He welcomed a group of American strangers into his studio--which is also his home--with the aplomb of an expereinced host.  The second thing that was wonderful about the visit was the pieces themselves.  They range from what I would consider table top size--about a foot high, something that you could imagine having on your desk or on a side table in your living room.  These figures are more playful than serious.  You will find yourself chuckling the longer you look at them.  Then his larger pieces, which are 2-3 feet high, are very very powerful. 




 
They are beautifully put together, and they really made me think in a very good way.  I really loved them--but when I was thinking about whether I should try to bring one home, I realized that it would be the sort of thing that I would put in the lobby of an office building rather than in my living room.  I like them so much, but it is not art that I would want to live with, which is an interesting phenomenon.  I so rarely find such moving art available at a price point that I can afford--but this work made me wish that I had an office space that could accomodate one such sculpture.

The artist also has a really interesting collection of wooden carved masks that are not made him, and then there are some really large pieces that are even more evocative.
If you get a chance to see Humberto Batista's work, take it--he is a powerful, thoughtful, and unique artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment