Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Pastoral Artisan Cheese Shop, Chicago

I recently spent a weekend in Chicago, and accidentally found this wonderful purveyor of artisanal cheeses in the Chicago French Market.  I was in the market looking for pastrami, but right next door was this shop, and the day we were there was the one day that they invite their producers to come and serve their wares to their customers.

A couple of highlights, beside the fact that they carry Green Dirt Farm cheeses, which are made by a long time friend of mine, Sarah Hoffman--which should have been proof enough that they know their artisanal cheeses.  But I had three cheeses that were new to me that I really loved.

The first is from Uplands Cheese Company in Dodgeville, Wisconsin--it is an Alpine style cows milk cheese (it reminded me of a Tomme) called Pheasant Ridge.  I later discovered that it won best in show at the American Cheese Society's annual meeting in 2010, 
so no surprise that it is spectacular, but it was new to me and I was blown away by how delicious it was and came home with a pound of it to share with others.

The second was Cremont cheese from Vermont Cremery.  This is a mixed cow and goat milk Camembert style cheese that is really interesting--the goat milk gives it a sharpness that elevates it above cow milk versions of the cheese style, and it was really enjoyable.  The woman noted where the goat herd is located, outside Randolph, Vermont, which is a part of Vermont I have been going to for over 30 years, so I will have to go visit them next time I am there.

The third was a cheese I really shoudl have known about because it is an Iowa-made cheese that is available in the grocery store just around the corner from where I live.  The cheese is called Prairie Breeze, from Milton Cremery.  It is an aged Cheddar style cheese that was both sharp and creamy.  Delicious.

Pastoral also makes sandwiches, which are quite good--we picked up a few on our way out of town , and Le Canard was the one that really hit the spot:  Herbed duck confit, Fromager D’Affinois, local shallot confit, whole grain dijon mustard and field greens on a chewy Baguette roll.  Perfect picnic  food.

No comments:

Post a Comment