Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Belgian Waffles

I really had no idea what a Belgian waffle was until I was in Belgium.  Up to that point I thought of them as having been cooked in a waffle iron that had a large square pattern rather than a small square pattern.  Since I am American, I was used to that version of a waffle.  I like a sparse amount of maple syrup evenly distributed across my waffle, so while I own a Belgian waffle maker, I did not much use it.

All that changed when I tried the waffles in Brussels--they are known as Liege waffles, and they are different from the waffles that I am used to as they are leavened with yeast, and they are denser, chewier, sweeter, and richer. They were made in 18th century history by the Chef of the Prince-Bishop of Liege. Unlike the Brussels waffle, the Liege waffle was adapted from brioche bread dough. It features pearl sugar chunks which caramelize on the waffle’s exterior when it is baked. This gives them a remarkable carmelized sugar exterior that is sublime.  They are served as a dessert rather than a breakfast food, and the very best have ice cream and fruit on top.  Surprisingly, Liege waffles are the most common type of waffles available in Belgium.

No comments:

Post a Comment