Search This Blog

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Olive Trees as Far as the Eye Can See

There are many wonderful things to be said about the landscape of southern Spain, the abundance of olive trees must absolutely be commented on, if only because they provide the most important ingredient in Andalucían cooking--the olive oil.

How good is the olive oil?  It is so good that you simply put it on everything.  I read an article by Mark Bittman last week, where he wrote about a minimalist approach to cooking in one's vacation home.  The one absolutely critical ingredient that he insists that you must bring (and which will require you checking a bag, should you be flying) is olive oil.  He insists that it can be poured over ice cream and you will not regret it (he would add flaked sea salt as well--yet another crucial ingredient that cannot be left behind). 

It is so good that it makes everything it touches taste fabulous--and the most amazing thing is that I did not at any point on my most recent trip develop a hierarchy of olive oils that I liked--I really liked them all equally and effusively.  I usually pack my luggage full of the beverage that I have enjoyed most on a vacation so that I can enjoy them once again when I get home--but this trip I packed olive oil to bring home--the sun drenched hillsides of Andalucía can be tasted in each and every drop.

No comments:

Post a Comment