Search This Blog

Monday, September 16, 2013

Abe Turns 21

Thanksfully, the Merle Haggard song "Mama Tried", which I know best as covered by the Grateful Dead,  does not apply.

You know, the one that goes like this:
"I turned twenty-one in prison doing life without parole.
No-one could steer me right but Mama tried, Mama tried.
Mama tried to raise me better, but her pleading, I denied.
That leaves only me to blame cuz Mama tried."

I don't know why 21 sounds so old to me, but maybe it is because there are so few things that you become eligible for when you turn 18, other than standing trial as an adult and voting, so 21 becomes the default age of majority in my mind.

What does it mean, besides the fact that you can go into a bar with your actual driver's license (as opposed to someone who looks more or less like you and has a birthday that qualifies them for being served alcohol)

So, as of today, three of my four children have crossed this all important threshold.  Congratulations Abe--may this be the year that you figure it all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment