Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The Moroccan Landscape

I spent a vacation in Morocco recently and while I did not think that it was a country that was entirely made up of sesert, I was surprised by what I saw of the landscape.  The sea coast I expected, and I also expected the abundant agriculture, if only because of what I know about traditional Moroccan cuisine--they must grow enough fruit and vegetables in order to have tagines made up of those incredients and cous cous is also traditional fare, so they must grow wheat, which they do, and rice as well.  What surprised me was the mountains--which run throughout the country and at some points they attain impressive altitude.  Mount Tobkal is almost 14,000 feet high, second on the African continent in height only to Mt. Kilaminjaro.  The Atlas mountains runs from the Atlantic coast to the Sahara Desert and are populated largely by the Berber people, the native inhabitants of Morocco. 

Let's be clear--there is a portion of the southern part of the country that is the classic Sahara Desert terrain.  Sweeping sand dunes that look all th more picturesque when there is a string of camels walking across them.  That is the part that I would love to see should I return.  There are "tent camp" experiences to be had there that I think are much like what my tent experience was in the Serneghetti--that is, luxury in the middle of nowhere.  The ability to erect a truly opulent tent goes goes at least to the Roman Republic, and is highly dependent on having a lot of man power to attend to a very few guests.  But I am no explorer, and a pampering in the desert--perhaps with the aforementioned camel ride, is something I could aspire to.

No comments:

Post a Comment