Search This Blog

Monday, June 16, 2014

The Berber Colors

One of the many things that I loved about my recent trip to Morocco was learning more about the ancient tribe of Morocco--the Berbers.  As with any ancient tribal culture, it is not so much one culture but many, but there are similarities that bind them together. 

One is the colors that repeat in their hand crafts--the tiles pictured above are the artisanal interpretation of the colors that are found in the Atlas Mountains, pictured below.  Once I understood that, I started to find the things that are man made in these colors more organic, more in harmony with the environment that they come out of, and the more they remind me of my Moroccan trip.

I was visiting a friend recently who had just come back from India.  Like me she had bought a rug (and like me it was more beautiful than she imagined the rugs in India to be, and also more expensive than what she thought she would come home with), but in addition to that she bought a tile table.


I visited a place where tile tables were definitely and option, but after the rug (and a beautiful set of hand painted dishes in Berber colors) I felt a table was, well, off the table, but I think that will be the purchase of the next visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment