Search This Blog

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Lie to Me (2009-2011)

I turned my parents on the Netflix, and in return, they turned me on to this show.  I don't think I would have tried it without their recommendation, because the premise of the show sounds unappealing to me.  The Lightman group is a team of professionals who tell whether people are lying.  That doesn't sound like it would be that fun to watch, but the way that they do it is what is interesting--they watch for the micro emotions, which are defined as the emotions that flit across a person's face and reveal what they are thinking or feeling.  The premise is that these facial muscle responses to sadness or guilt or lying are involuntary, difficult to suppress and universal.  Cal Lightman developed the theory as part of an academic career, but then parlayed it into a job with MI-6, some time in Vegas winning at poker and now into a business where people who want to know if they are being presented with the truth or a lie come to them for their advice.  It is a clever and slightly addicting series.

No comments:

Post a Comment