Search This Blog

Saturday, September 23, 2017

Coffee Shop (2016)

I usually refrain from reviewing movies that I am not recommending, but I am making an exception for this one.  The reason is that Netflix recommended it for me, and I thought it sounded like a light romantic comedy that I have a tendency to enjoy (even though I know that they are neither realistic nor enlightening in most cases).  In other words, my bar for enjoyment of this sort of movie is pretty low and realistic of what to expect from the genre.  And yet I find myself disappointed.
Three things did not work for me.  The first is that the dialogue is stilted.  I like the setting in a coffee shop, the shop itself is really nice, the philosophy of customer service, quality, and community is one that I really like, but it all fell pretty flat.  The story itself was a little bit clunky, with some unnecessary turns--this is not, after all, a murder mystery.  We know who is going to end up with whom, and no need to complicate it.  The third is that there was a little too much "by the grace of god" for my taste.  One thing I did love, besides the coffee shop itself, was the beautiful Alabama Gulf Coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment