Search This Blog

Thursday, October 12, 2017

Emotional Words and Cancer

The challenge (well, one of the challenges) of having a very visible bout with cancer is that amidst all of this, I feel like I am being judged. I don;t mean that people are being unkind.  Quiet the contrary, other than having a boss who actively tried to remove me from office while I was in the ICU with a bout of sepsis, people were uniformly fabulous to me.  Strangers were kind to me.  I had a very rocky road for a while but at no time did I feel uncared for.  Being sick is lonely business but I did not have people close to me shy away from me (for the most part).
What I mean is that the words around illness in general and cancer in particular have to do with implying you have control over things that you really have almost no control over at all.  Cancer is neither a battle nor a journey.  It is life, on a different path than you might choose.  It may begin at Point A, but there really is no end to it, so long as you are alive to live it.  It is just different, that is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment