Search This Blog

Monday, February 12, 2018

Get Out (2017)

Oh my lordy, this is just the sort of movie that I could never watch in a movie theater because I absolutely have to get up in the middle of it and walk around.  Some people love to be scared.  Not me.  I feel the same way about surprises.  This is just simply brilliant as a film and I can't say enough about it.  Most astounding is how the structure of a horror movie that is superimposed on a story about racism somehow becomes memorable and more powerful for all the scaring that takes place.
The director, Jason Peele, has really made a mark with this movie, which is somewhere between Guess Who's Coming to Dinner and Rosemary's Baby.  His film is essentially about that unsettled feeling you get when you know you don’t belong somewhere; when you know you’re unwanted or perhaps even wanted too much but you don't know why. Peele infuses the age-old genre foundation of knowing something is wrong behind the closed doors around you with a racial, satirical edge. What if going home to meet your girlfriend’s white parents wasn’t just uncomfortable but downright life-threatening?  There are so many times that I just kept shouting "Get Out!".  Engaging, surprising, spectacularly pulled off, unsettling, and like nothing you have ever seen before.

No comments:

Post a Comment