Search This Blog

Thursday, November 8, 2018

Ready Player One (2018)

This was such a great book, a true surprise to me that I enjoyed it so much, and two of my kids who watched the movie enjoyed it and felt like it followed the story ark of the book exactly, so I expected to love it.  It did not turn out that way.
Spielberg directed this and the author had a hand in the script, so that was not the issue for me.  Nor was what many a critic found annoying, which is that it is also steeped in 1980's nostalgia.  One, while I was alive and well in that era, all things related to video gaming were completely unknown to me.  Two, there does seem to be a genuine nostalgia today for those old games, and kids who were born a decade or so later definitely know more about them than I.  So not sure what the issue is there.
The story is basically post apocalyptic, not infrastructure left to speak of, but somehow there is great wifi and no shortage of electricity (which anyone who has survived one bad storm knows is wildly unrealistic).  So people prefer to play in the video game world rather than live in the real world, and the biggest gamer of them all sets up the ultimate quest and Wade, our hero, goes against bad guys, both in the game and in real life, to reach the quest.

No comments:

Post a Comment