Search This Blog

Friday, February 11, 2022

Beautiful World, Where Are You? by Sally Rooney

Oh dear, this was massively underwhelming, a meandering and unfiltered look at several inter-related characters who seem to have little to offer, either to each other or to the reader. Maybe I just didn't get it. If this is the new 'un-novel', then I am going to take a pass on reading them. I have loved this author's work in the past, so this is particularly disappointing. Also not unique, in that I have read several books in the past year that have the potential to be self-referential, but in a way that, for me, detracts from the novel. I found this not just neutral, but actually annoying. I couldn't decide whether to power through it or put it aside and come back later, and the advice I got from those who I knew who had read it before me was that letting it simmer wouldn't improve it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment