Search This Blog

Friday, February 25, 2022

The End of Bias: A Beginning by Jessica Nordell

The subtitle is The Science and Practice of Overcoming Unconscious Bias. The author has a bit of an uphill battle here and I think she does a successful job. Bias is often things we can more easily identify in others than in ourselves, and her mission here is to get us to see it in ourselves, and then offers ways to identify it and to combat it. I found myself cruising through the first third of the book feeling like what she was presenting was information that I was familiar with, but by the second third she had my attention, that there were things that I could be doing better, and by the end I found myself taking the lessons learned here and applying them to the interactions I was part of or witnessed at work, and already, just one week after finishing the book, I pointed expressed bias out to a co-worker. The thing I took away here was two-fold, one is the seeing of the bias, which is for me an easier step, and the second is to make it transparent to others in a way that doesn't hurt or harm others, and that piece will take more work--but it is work worth doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment