Search This Blog

Saturday, January 5, 2019

Mary Poppins Returns (2018)

 I am trying to be a bit more proactive in my Oscar movie watching this year, and so when the short list for a number of categories came out, I scanned my local movie schedules and have been trying to see the things that are nominated and still in theaters. This one is likely to end up with a musical nomination at the very least, so I took my youngest son and was prepared to be disappointed.  Why?  Because I absolutely adore the original movie, which was one of the movies I saw in a theater when I was young, rather than at a drive in or on the very poor quality and relatively small television screens of the 1960's.  I was so pleased to be wrong.
A musical Mary Poppins returns when the Banks children of the original movie have grown up and John Banks has children of his own. Emily Blunt and Lin Manuel Miranda do an excellent job of recapitulating Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke's charming characters and deft singing skills, the story is pulled forward and it is a sumptuous feel good movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment