Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Celebrate Often

I have a monumental birthday today (or bird day, as some of my favorite people to celebrate any occasion would say), and the best piece of wisdom I have to pass along from the many years that I have lived is that restricting the celebration to a single day.  It is no laughing matter to grow old, and this is one way to combat it.
When I was a child, there was a favored cake and some would have a favored dinner, but a one and done approach was pretty ubiquitous in my family and friends.  As an adult I have found that to be quite restrictive.  Those who cannot make it are left out.  The celebration needs to be one kind of fun.  Now that I am facing yet another new decade, I have come to see that a month of celebrating is a much more thorough approach to a satisfying celebration.  Many places, many people, many special meals, and then, when all is said and done, the pain of the passage of years is eased.

No comments:

Post a Comment