Search This Blog

Friday, May 17, 2019

One Missing Sibling

This is a picture of my sibling and I from the summer of 2001 on the Root Glacier in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park.  This is just one of many adventures that we have shared as siblings over the years, with and without our parents at hand.  He is the sibling that saved me from becoming an only child, and there are so many things that he and our relationship have taught me over the years.
There is one sibling missing though.  When I was two years old, my parents brought home a baby who would not live to see adulthood.  He caught polio when he was just 5 months old and while he survived, and thrived, it was most likely the after effects of polio that contributed to his death eight years later.  So two things about this.  I am of course an adamant proponent of vaccination.  It is almost too emotional for me even now to talk about it because it is very very personal to me.  I went on to have a child on chemotherapy and then to undergo chemotherapy myself, and the odd unvaccinated person could have caused a great deal of harm to us.  But the most important thing I learned from my brother, who would have been 58 years old today, is the satisfaction of taking care of people.  He led me into medicine and I will be forever grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment