Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Alabama Get Away

The Handmaid's Tale imagery is a very appropriate reaction to the Alabama abortion restrictions passed last week.  I have let it sit for a while, and my anger has not dissipated.
As the Grateful Dead song says,
Alabama get away
Only way to please me
Turn around and leave
And walk away.
Which is what I would do if I ever had reason to consider living there.  All too often I wonder about succession--is it still an option for the American South?
The criminalization  of abortion is not about personhood starting at conception.  That is a religious rather than a biological determination.  It is about men controlling women, thinly veiled in imposing religious beliefs of a minority of Americans onto everyone.  The Founding Fathers might well support the patriarchy, but not based on religion, and let's face it, those guys have been dead for a hundred years.  So start letting your representatives know exactly how you feel about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment