Search This Blog

Saturday, August 31, 2019

Hungry by Jeff Gordinier

I read a review of this book in The Week a few weeks ago when I was catching up on back issues, which seems to be  the way that I attack a weekly magazine these days--consuming a month or so of them in one sitting, and then adding all sorts of things I want to read to my library hold list as a result.  That is how this book ended up on my list of things to read.
I like reading about food and food preparation, but by and large, haven't got a lot of experience in this arena, and I probably wouldn't have thought that a book about Rene Redzepi's creative  process would exactly be up my alley, but I really enjoyed this book about the architect of New Nordic cuisine, with what might be considered the fermenting bible having come out of his kitchen at Noma in Copenhagen to his credit.
the thing I loved about him to start with is that he loves regional Mexican cooking, and that is undeniably the best complex flavored food i have ever had.  One point he makes in his journey around the world and his return to Mexico is that there really is no improving on the flavors of the foods made all over Mexico, that they harness the potential of everything around them and make it soar.  the book is short and largely sweet, and well worth a read if cooking is your thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment