Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Hurricane Season (2010)

I am someone who does not watch sports much at all.  The exceptions to that are the Olympics and the World Cup.  Otherwise I have opened up vast amounts of time in my life by not following any sport on a regular basis nor do I have a fantasy football team or any such variation on that time sink.
So it surprises me that I very much enjoy films about sports teams and their redemptive power.  This is one such story, where in post Katrina New Orleans, where like many other schools in predominantly black neighborhoods, John Ehret High School, home to the Patriots, was badly flooded.  Unlike many other schools, they did reopen and the basketball coach, Al Collins (played by the ever popular Forrest Whitaker), decides that his team will compete that season, despite all that stands in their way.  He is motivated by the fact that his team has lost everything and been scared as well, that team sports is a way to keep them focused and out of trouble, and basketball does all that and more for them.  Good story mostly well told.

No comments:

Post a Comment