Search This Blog

Saturday, October 26, 2019

La Campana, Madrid, Spain

We stayed in a great apartment near the Plaza Mayor, and there were a number of restaurants there that were featured on an Anthony Boudain show at one time or another.  I have not loved either of the two books of his that I have read, but I really like his approach to food as it intersects with culture and local specialties.
La Campana is right off one of the six or so entrances to the Plaza Mayor, and it is a bustling place.  I ordered the tortilla espanola, which is a dish that I love but rarely make, and this version was heavenly.  The egg was light and the potato cooked enough to be soft but with some tooth feel, and perfectly seasoned.  The olives that I had to accompany this simple repast were perfect.  And the whole meal, with my cafe au lait, was less than 5 euros. 
Added to the food was the ambiance, which was perfect, a bit like a pinxchos bar in the north, where you get your food and then go back to pay for it once you are well and done.  Lots of good people watching as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment