Search This Blog

Monday, March 23, 2020

Zombieland 2: Double Tap (2019)

I have very mixed feelings about sequels in general.  Forzen 2 left me cold, but I adored Toy Story 4.  It made me want to go back and watch all the Toy Story ouevre, something that had not happened previously.  My spouse was eager to see this and since we are sheltering in place (more or less--we are both health care workers and so we have more of a work-home routine with groceries delivered in), this seemed like a light option.
I did not expect to like the first Zombieland movie.  I am not much into this sort of film in general, but I surprised myself by really enjoying it.  There was a balance between funny and gory, and it hit all the right notes for me.  It was a movie that sealed my love of Woody Harrison.
The sequel was the opposite.  The cast is larger, the carnage is gnarlier and the comedy is even more meta than before. But while individual moments and action sequences might be amusing, the endeavor as a whole feels like a tepid retread. Callbacks to running gags from the first “Zombieland” result in little more than sporadic chuckles, and the characters at the center of this new adventure haven’t developed in ways that are meaningful or compelling.  It was a rerun, not terrible, but covering no new ground, but leaving a lot more bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment