Search This Blog

Saturday, June 12, 2021

Missionaries by Phil Klay

Let me just say that if you have any illusions that wars have winners and losers, then this book, written by a combat veteran, will set you straight. I read it because it is on Obama's 2020 reading list and while I do not love every book I read that he recommends, I am not sorry I read it. A journalist, Lisette, is suffering from trauma, boredom and shame from covering over-hyped and excessively optimistic US military involvements in Afghanistan and Iraq. She is searching for something to rejuvenate her and she types into a search engine: “Are there any wars right now that we’re not losing?” The algorithm claims the answer to be “Colombia”, where, in 2015, US troops are supporting a national rebuilding and peace process after half a century of intersecting civil wars between government forces, terrorists, revolutionaries and drug barons. Let's just say that while we meet a number of compelling and believable characters, at no point are we convinced that this is indeed a war that anyone is winning. The money in the whole operation leaves winners and losers, but there are no heroes.

No comments:

Post a Comment