Search This Blog

Monday, September 13, 2021

Zappa (2021)

I was never a big fan of Zappa, he was just too out there for me. I did see that he was a deeply creative man, and that it was that I did not get it, not that he didn't have a lot to offer. I also thought that it might help some if you were slightly intoxicated when experiencing what he had to offer, and was surprised when I learned long ago that he was not into drugs at all. My spouse, on the other hand, was really into him, all of that happening prior to our meeting, but despite merging a lot about our lives together, Zappa was one thing that stayed decidedly in his court. This documentary does a good job of displaying just how complicated a man Zappa was, all the while coming off as pretty unlikable. Brilliance is hard to be around, it turns out, although he did have his bubble of people who stuck with him, including his wife. He comes off as matter of factly brilliant, someone who says what he feels regardless of who it might hurt, almost a little autistic in that way, but that quality is both the good news and thebad news. Doors opened for him because he was willing to speak his mind, and the did a wide variety of things with his talent. Ultimately the world is a better place for having him in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment