Monday, July 27, 2026
Romancing Mister Bridgerton by Julia Quinn
This is a friend to romance novel, which while I am not an avid reader of this genre, is a favored plot line. Then there is something about the Bridgerton books is compelling me to binge read them all. When I read The Duke and I I had no idea that I was going to eventually binge all of the books. Unexpectedly, I love the show (although why I am surprised is beyond me, because I love the Regency period novels and film adaptations) and Colin and Penelope’s romance was one I was looking forward to. This is not aptly named however--in the relationship that develops, neither party romances the other so much as act themselves.
Colin Bridgerton has been wandering the world while trying to figure out his place in life. These rich men who hope to make a difference but do not need to work to support themselves--it can make them a bit tedious and Colin is no exception.
He is tired of being thought nothing but an empty-headed charmer, tired of everyone’s preoccupation with the notorious gossip columnist Lady Whistledown, who can’t seem to publish an edition without mentioning the Bridgertons. But when Colin returns to London from a trip abroad he discovers nothing in his life is quite the same – including his sister's long time friend Penelope Featherington. Their friendship--which was at arms length for him and an adoration for her--slowly blossoms into something more, and something that he doesn't quite understand.
It takes him quite some time to figure out just what a treasure she is and to come to her support when her secret is outed. He so obviously under valued what she brought to his life and he clearly needs her as a partner.
Now I enter the half of the Bridgerton children whose lives have yet to be chronicled by the Netflix series. I am enjoying both versions.
Labels:
Book Review,
Fiction,
Historical Fiction,
Romantic Comedy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment